NYS Attorney General's OfficeAt every level of government and in the nonprofit and private sectors as well, there are resources to help consumers. Educate yourself to be a good consumer. However, if you need help fighting for your rights, there are agencies that can help. What follows are some of them. You can also check out our A-Z listing.

Consumer Reports
  Consumer info from Consumer Reports magazine.
Direct Deposit
  Direct deposit is the safest and easiest way to receive money. The U.S. Department of the Treasury and the Federal Reserve Banks sponsored "Go Direct" to encourage people who receive federal benefit checks to use direct deposit.
National Foundation for Credit Counseling
  The NFCC sets the national standard for quality credit counseling, debt reduction services, and education for financial wellness. 
NYS Attorney General’s Office
  New York State, through the Attorney General’s Office, can help with some consumer problems.
NYS Consumer Protection Board
  The New York State Consumer Protection Board is the state’s consumer watchdog. As such, it is involved in an array of consumer issues. The board conducts consumer investigations, research and analysis, develops consumer education programs and materials, responds to individual complaints by working to settle disputes through voluntary agreements, and it represents the interests of consumers before the Public Service Commission and other state and federal agencies.
NYS Public Service Commission
  The New York State Public Service Commission (PSC) is the state’s regulatory agency for all utilities, including electric and gas companies, and telephone companies.
Sales Tax Rates in Westchester
  Sales tax within Westchester can vary from municipality to municipality. Find out what the sales tax is where you live or shop. This is particularly important when you buy a car.
US Department of Housing and Urban Development
  A not-for-profit counseling agency may also be able to help.  A list of counseling agencies that are approved by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is available.  HUD can also be reached by telephone at 1 (800) 569-4287 or TDD 1 (800) 877-8339.