Image of African American male shopping in the grocery store

The Department of Consumer Protection fights hard to ensure a fair and equitable marketplace for consumers. Check our office hours and if you need assistance, call us at (914) 995-2155.

Find a home contractor
Read our tips on how to select a contractor. Do your homework before you hire a home improvement contractor. Check whether your contractor has any outstanding judgments or liens filed against their business. Find out if the contractor is licensed and avoid hiring renegade renovators. 

Wage underpayment and theft
Home improvement contractors are required by law to declare on their licensing application any nonpayment or underpayment of wage actions against them. If contractors fail to abide by this law and you believe you are a victim of wage theft, file a Wage Underpayment and Theft Worker complaint with our office. 

Plumbing and Electrical Licenses
Plumbers and electricians must obtain a trade license in order to work in Westchester County. Check licensing information for Plumbers and Electricians or call (914) 995-2657 if you need additional details.

Earned sick leave law

Employees in Westchester County are entitled to earned sick leave.
Beware of scammers pretending to represent Internal Revenue Service

Internal Revenue Service's consumer alert urges taxpayers to watch out for erroneous tax refunds and fake calls to return money to Collection Agency. The IRS provides additional tips on how to report tax-related schemes, scams, identity theft and fraud.

Check out our comprehensive financial education section, with the downturn in the economy and the housing crisis you may find helpful information.

Another initiative is Senior Crime Busters. This one-hour, elder fraud protection program, which is available to your group, provides tips on how seniors can stay safe and avoid financial exploitation. Senior citizens should also beware of the "grandson" scam.

We have so much going on: