When planning to hire an electrician or plumber in Westchester County, residents should be aware that all electrical work must be performed by a Westchester County-licensed electrician or an employee of a licensed electrician. In addition, all plumbing work must be performed by a Westchester County-licensed plumber or employee of a licensed plumber. Consider these additional tips:
Check for a Westchester County license: Ask to see your plumber or electrician’s Westchester County license card which will show the date their license expires and remember:
- All plumbing work must be performed by a Westchester County-licensed plumber or an employee of a licensed plumber.
- All electrical work must be performed by a Westchester County-licensed electrician or an employee of a licensed electrician.
Trade license search: You can search our database of licensed plumbers and electricians to learn if the person you are about to hire has a current license and to check the expiration dates of their insurance policies.
Get it in writing: A written agreement of what is expected should be drawn up before work begins to ensure you will get the work done within a reasonable time and at a reasonable cost. Your contract should answer the following questions:
- Exactly what work is going to be done?
- What preparatory work is included?
- When will the work begin?
- How long will the work take?
- What type and quantity of materials are being used?
Look for an official place of business: Be sure that the electrician or plumber you are planning to hire has a fixed place of work should you need to visit him or her for any reason. All the estimates and contracts should have a company name, address and phone number; and, plumbers should include their license numbers on any estimate. Be wary of anyone who simply gives you a phone number.
Shop around: Don’t pick the first tradesperson that you see advertised. Just because they have the flashiest ad in the phonebook does not mean they are the most professional. Get more than one estimate. Ask for references.